Article 144 – International Law
Unless otherwise provided by this Constitution or Act of Parliament, the general rules of public international law and international agreements binding upon Namibia under this Constitution shall form part of the law of Namibia.
Article 145 – Saving
1. Nothing contained in this Constitution shall be construed as imposing upon the Government of Namibia:
- (a)any obligations to any other State which would not otherwise have existed under international law
- (b)any obligations to any person arising out of the acts or contracts of prior Administrations which would not otherwise have been recognised by international law as binding upon the Republic of Namibia.
2. Nothing contained in this Constitution shall be construed as recognising in any way the validity of the Administration of Namibia by the Government of the Republic of South Africa or by the Administrator-General appointed by the Government of the Republic of South Africa to administer Namibia.
Article 146 – Definitions
1. Unless the context otherwise indicates, any word or expression in this Constitution shall bear the meaning given to such word or expression in any law which deals with the interpretation of statutes and which was in operation within the territory of Namibia prior to the date of Independence
- (a) The word “Parliament” shall mean the National Assembly and, once the first National Council has been elected, shall mean the National Assembly acting, when so required by this Constitution, subject to the review of the National Council.
- (b) Any reference to the plural shall include the singular and any reference to the singular shall include the plural.
- (c) Any reference to the “date of Independence” or “Independence” shall be deemed to be a reference to the day as of which Namibia is declared to be independent by the Constituent Assembly.
- (d) Any reference to the “Constituent Assembly” shall be deemed to be a reference to the Constituent Assembly elected for Namibia during November 1989 as contemplated by United Nations Security Council Resolution 435 of 1978.
- (e) Any reference to “Gazette” shall be deemed to be a reference to the Government Gazette of the Republic of Namibia.
Article 147 – Repeal of Laws
The laws set out in Schedule 8 hereof are hereby repealed.
Article 148 – Short Title
This Constitution shall be called the Namibian Constitution.